The 7 Chakras - A Series
In this series, we hope to bring more awareness to the 7 energy centers within us, called the Chakras. These centers are so powerful that they affect our physical, emotional and spiritual bodies on a daily basis. When you become conscious of what they are, how they affect you and how you can work with them, you will notice a profound change in yourself and how you view the world around you.
Let's start with the Root Chakra or Muladhara
Where is it?The root chakra is located at the base of the spine, the pelvic floor and the lower three vertebrae. Put your focus there now and see if you can locate it (if you've ever done kegels, you'll know exactly where we're talking about!).
How does it affect me?This is one of the most important chakras, but is often overlooked. We know that people want to open their 3rd eye and crown the most, because that is our connection to the Divine. But we liken it to this- Picture a strong and mighty oak tree. See how it reaches toward the heavens with it's beautiful leaves and branches? See how the trunk is massive and supportive? None of this would work without a strong root system. It is from this root system that this beautiful tree can withstand the weather, hold itself up and blossom and grow. It is imperative that this mighty oak have a solid foundation, or the rest will fail. The root chakra is where our safety, security and basic human needs come from. When the root chakra is unbalanced, we are anxious, fearful and may experience bowel issues, lower back and leg issues.
How can I balance it?There are so many ways to help with balancing this chakra, we'll just name a few that are our favorites and we know work for us:
- Color therapy - The color of this chakra is RED. If you are feeling ungrounded, wear something red. A scarf, nail polish, socks, a tie.. add a splash of red! Color a mandala picture (very popular right now for adults!) in red tones and leave it where you will see it. Burn a red candle.
- Essential oils - We believe strongly in the power of essential oils. Myrrh, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Frankincense and Sandalwood. Put a few drops in an oil diffuser with water and breathe in the healing aromatherapy.
- Herbs - Dandelions are wonderful for the root chakra. Eat them in salads or make an herbal tea.
- Physical activity - This is key and it doesn't have to be strenuous! Stand barefoot in the grass or dirt. Really feel the grass... just for that moment, be in that moment. Take a walk in nature. Don't have a destination just walk, breathe and be in the present.
- Meditation - This is our personal favorite! While meditating focus on the area of the root chakra. See a red ball of energy in that area, pulsing and spinning.
- Sound therapy - There are countless free sound therapy tracks on the web (we like Solfeggio and Binaural the best). Use these with headphones for the full effect.
- Chanting - Chant the word LAM, this is the sound activator for the root chakra. Repeat this chant multiple times, really feel how this word feels in your mouth, lips and tongue. Have fun with this!