The Muladhara chakra is also known as the Root chakra and is the 1st chakra (of the main 7 found within the physical body). The root chakra provides the foundation on which we build our life. It supports us in growing and feeling safe into exploring all the aspects of life.
Where is it?
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine, the pelvic floor and the lower three vertebrae. Put your focus there now and see if you can locate it (if you've ever done kegels, you'll know exactly where we're talking about!).
How does it affect me?
This is one of the most important chakras, but is often overlooked. We know that people want to open their 3rd eye and crown the most, because that is our connection to the Divine. But we liken it to this- Picture a strong and mighty oak tree. See how it reaches toward the heavens with its beautiful leaves and branches? See how the trunk is massive and supportive? None of this would work without a strong root system. It is from this root system that this beautiful tree can withstand the weather, hold itself up and blossom and grow. It is imperative that this mighty oak have a solid foundation, or the rest will fail.
The root chakra is where our safety, security and basic human needs come from. When the root chakra is unbalanced, we are anxious, fearful and may experience bowel issues, lower back and leg issues.
How can I balance it?
There are so many ways to help with balancing this chakra, we'll just name a few that are our favorites and we know work for us:
- Color therapy - The color of this chakra is red. If you are feeling ungrounded, wear something red. A scarf, nail polish, socks, a tie.. add a splash of red! Color a mandala picture (very popular right now for adults!) in red tones and leave it where you will see it. Burn a red candle.
- Crystals - Crystals are wonderful at clearing, activating and balancing chakras. Our favorite root chakra crystals are: Petrified Wood, Hematite, Aragonite & Jasper (red is best for this chakra).
- Essential oils - We believe strongly in the power of essential oils. Myrrh, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Frankincense and Sandalwood. Put a few drops in an oil diffuser with water and breathe in the healing aromatherapy.
- Herbs - Dandelions are wonderful for the root chakra. Eat them in salads or make an herbal tea.
- Physical activity - This is key and it doesn't have to be strenuous! Stand barefoot in the grass or dirt. Really feel the grass... just for that moment, be in that moment. Take a walk in nature. Don't have a destination just walk, breathe and be in the present moment.
- Meditation - This is our personal favorite! While meditating focus on the area of the root chakra. See a red ball of energy in that area, pulsing and spinning.
- Sound therapy - Use tuning forks! These tools work wonders on realigning your vibration. You can find our Earth Tuning Fork here, which is specifically designed to work the Earth's energy and will instantly ground and center you. There are countless free sound therapy tracks on the web (we like Solfeggio and Binaural the best). Use these with headphones for the full effect.
- Chanting - Chant the word LAM, this is the sound activator for the root chakra. Repeat this chant multiple times, really feel how this word feels in your mouth, lips and tongue. Have fun with this!
These are just a few suggestions. Try one tonight and feel the difference tomorrow.
The Throat Chakra or Vishuddha is the first of the three Spiritual Chakras and can be found in the throat region of the body. This chakra is all ab...Read More
We have all been affected by an unbalanced heart chakra at one time or another in our lives. Unless you are a hermit, it is nearly impossible to ge...Read More
Many many people suffer from an unbalance in this chakra. Try this experiment today- While you are out, watch people around you. If you see a perso...Read More